Monday, January 16, 2012

The really bad day





Ever have one of those days that just push you to the limit.  This past Sunday after going to church and listening to a sermon, on how God interrupts our life I walked out to the parking lot to find that my power steering pump (yes, the one that I had replaced about 3 months ago) was not working properly.  As I pulled into my driveway and opened the hood I found power steering fluid all over the engine.  Since I had a meeting the following morning at 7am my wife and I decided that I would just use her car.  The following morning (a Monday none the less) I awoke to a frigid, windy New England morning and a dead battery.  Well that’s OK, that’s why I pay for AAA except when I pulled out my AAA card I realized that my membership had expired ten days earlier.  Since it was 6am and the AAA office does not open until 9am I sat down on the couch and had a good old fashion pity party.  Could God really be interrupting my life already?  I mean, I heard the sermon and how God often interrupts us to get our attention but this is really bad timing God.  I’m supposed to have shoulder surgery in a few days and I have enough on my plate to have to deal with a day like this. AAAAARRRRRGGGGG!!!!
  After having my mini-meltdown I logged on to my Facebook page and one of my friends had posted this quote by Martin Luther King.

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

Boom! Thanks a lot MLK…I was kind of enjoying my pity party and you ruined it.  So I picked myself up and dusted my self off and my first thought was Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God” so I spent some time praying, and believe me I let God know that in my humble opinion His timing was not good here but I accept His interruption.  I then started to tackle the obstacles in front of me one-step at a time,
  I am quite sure that MLK was not referring to car problems in this quote but when our life is interrupted by anything, it feels like the weight of the world.  Knowing that God is good and He has plans to prosper us is the first step to standing tall in times of trouble, that truth stands tall in all of our trials no matter how minor or serious they may be.  God is good; He does have plans to prosper us, to lift us up and to give us strengths to face our bad days.   

No comments:

Post a Comment