Sunday, January 8, 2012

Kill the Ox and Burn the Plow



This past week I was preparing a sermon about following Jesus.  While studying in preparation for the sermon I was reminded of the story in 1 Kings in which the prophet Elisha was called into ministry by Elijah.  The amazing things about this story isn't the call itself, it is the response of Elisha to the call.
  When Elijah approached Elisha, Elisha was in the field working a team of oxen plowing the field.  After a quick stop to say goodbye to his family, Elisha did an incredible thing. He unyoked his oxen, killed them, cooked their meat to feed his family and friends and burned his plowing equipment.  In other words, he was all in and there was no turning back.  Elisha cashed in his life in order to follow Jesus.  He couldn't just simply run to the store and replace the Ox and the plow.  His previous life was over and a new one had begun.
  1st Corinthians tells us that when we accept Jesus we are a new creation.  All old things pass away and we become new.  The question for you and I is, what keeps us from killing the ox and burning the plow?
Why when God calls us, do we stick our toe in first or try to rationalize our stalling?  Why do we allow things in our life to take the place of priority that rightfully belongs to God?
  I have been so convicted of this in my life this week. I don't want to follow God's call in my life in a haphazard way.  I don't want to hold back.  I want to follow Him with everything.  I want Him to possess the place in my life that He rightfully deserves.  I want to kill the ox and burn the plow!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Did you run this post by the humane society? Animal Cruelty is never a good way to start into the blog world. Lol

    In all seriousness great post. I am extremely fired up about what is happening in our community this year. I'm ready to burn some oxes and shoot the plow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great Mark!!!! Very inspiring,I am with you I want to jump in head first and do Gods work!!!!

    ReplyDelete